Saturday, March 12, 2011

Shopping list

March.
The clocks go forward tonight.
The first day of spring is just over a week away. Yet there is still at least a foot of snow in my garden. Snow will be around for a while yet. I'm predicting that FG will be on the road at the start of May. To that extent I'm booking a week off work at the end of April so that I can get him ready for the road.
What will it take to get him ready?
Not too much I'm hoping. He was running perfectly when I winterized him in November. I'm hoping that after an oil change and hooking the battery up I'll turn the key and vroom vroom we'll be off.
I have a list of cosmetic things I want to do to him and to that end I've made a shopping list of things to get and do.
First thing I want is some sound/heat insulation for the inside of the bonnet. None of the cars I looked at when I was buying had any insulation inside the bonnet. I wonder why. Perhaps it's more macho to be shouting to your passenger over the sound of the engine when you're out driving on the road.
Next I want a replacement dashboard cover. FG's dash has a couple of bad cracks in it. So I really do want to cover that over.
New sun visors are a must too. The current ones are worn out and don't stay in position all that well.
A new locking petrol tank cap looks to be a good idea. The rubber gasket on the current cap has perished. It would be nice to have one of these fancy looking ones with the MG logo on them but I don't think I need to pay $120 for one when a regular common or garden one only costs about $30.
So not all that much. Of course I won't be at all surprised if things go wrong and I have to fork out for some other important mechanical bits and bobs.
But right now all I can think about is getting out on the open road with that top down and my wife by my side. It's going to be a great summer. (I hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment