Sunday, November 28, 2010

Automotive Hypochondria

What a magnificent term! I wish I'd thought of it.
But I was introduced to it by a member of the MG Experience. (The MG Experience is an internet forum where MG owners go to discuss their cars, restorations, repairs and driving experiences.) As a numpty-newbie to this classic sports car malarkey I find it a very welcoming place.
So back to the Automotive Hypochondria...
A hypochondriac is defined as a person who worries excessively about have a particular disease or medical malady. So by a logical progression, an Automotive Hypochondriac is a person who worries excessively about wether his car has mechanical issues.
I have it.
Quite badly.
It's made worse by the fact that this is the first time I've had any dealings with a classic sports car.
I've read up on MG's. I know the engines leak. But that doesn't stop me looking at that oil stain that has appeared on the garage floor and wondering if it is the precursor of something a bit more serious.
A bigger worry though, is. Will it start up again in the spring? It was running when I put the Sta-bil in the fuel tank and took the battery out to winterize it a couple of weeks ago. But it's going to sit there, in the corner of the garage for six months, several of those being below freezing.
What can happen to a car in storage for six months? Can anything happen to a car in storage for six months? I can't get into my own personal Tardis and hop forward in time six months to find out. So I'm just going to have to sit and worry.
Automotive Hypochondria.
I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment