Friday, November 26, 2010

A kindred spirit

It's always nice when you can find someone who can really appreciate your car. I mean really appreciate it. Not just saying "That's great" when they see it. Someone who knows what an MG is and their standing in automotive history.
Today was one such day.
So, to set the scene. One of my other hobbies is model railways/model railroads, and today was day one of the Rum River Model Railroad Club show at the Princeton depot. I was exhibiting my 7 day model railroad. Nothing to do with MG's or classic sports cars there. But during the summer one other member of the club turned up to the meeting in a Ford Capri. So here was a gent who knew about British cars.
We chatted a while before the show.
"What have you been up to in the summer?" He asked.
"Well" I nonchalantly started. "I bought a 1976 MGB." This definitely got his interest I could tell but an interruption to our conversation put paid to any further discussion.
So about half an hour later during the show he slid over to my layout and said.
"So tell me about this '76 MGB"... I regailed him with the tale of its purchase.
"I'd show you it but it's all sheeted down and on dollies in the corner of the garage."
"Just like my Sprite" he said.
Sprite? Sprite! I really was onto a kindred spirit here. So this burned at me all day. I really wanted to show FG off to someone who knew about these things.
So at the end of the show I said to him.
"If you want to help me pull the car out of the corner of the garage. I'll show you the MGB." He didn't need asking twice and 5 minutes later we were working to pull the car out of the corner of the garage.
I pulled off the dust cover...
"Oh that's nice." He said. "Really nice. That really is beautiful."
We looked it over, checking things out. Appreciating the car. At times we stood there saying nothing, we didn't need to say anything. Two guys just enjoying a car for what it was.
It was definitely great to share the car with someone who knew about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment