Sunday, November 14, 2010

What a difference a week makes

Indeed, if a week is a long time in politics. Then it is an age in the ownership of a 1976 MGB. If you cast your mind back just 7 short days (that last posting below this one). It was a gorgeous day mid 60's F and I took FG for it's last (and first) spin of the year with wifey. Then when we returned I winterised it and popped it away in the corner of the garage.
Now one week later there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground and the temp is hovering around 32 (freezing point). I guess the snow could be here to stay now.
Today I couldn't resist. I had to take a look at FG. To be honest I had something I needed to check out. During the week I had been reading the Owners manual and I realised that I hadn't checked out wether the engine had overdrive or not. I had been expecting to see the switch on top of the gear lever and when it wasn't there I wasn't too worried. It could have had it or not. However, reading the manual I discovered that it was from 1977 onwards that had the switch on the lever. On '75 and 76's there was a switch on the windscreen washer stalk. Moving the stalk forward and back engaged/disengaged the overdrive. Like below.
So, FG has overdrive. Wether it works properly or not I don't know. That will have to wait until the spring. Another thing to look forward too...


No comments:

Post a Comment